More and more legislation is being created at the European level with direct consequences for every company. This European legislation permeates all areas of Dutch law. European law also plays a role if you are doing business abroad. We keep a close eye on European developments. More in particular, we advise on all aspects concerning European and national competition, M&A transactions, public procurement and state aid. You can also contact us for cross-border issues such as environmental matters.
In addition, there are other topics for which European law plays a role. For example, the protection of consumers, employees, distributors, franchisees or licensees and the internal market. Examples occur in all kinds of legal areas, such as the content of general terms and conditions, setting up a web shop, strict construction and safety requirements, quality marks, food safety standards. Do you have a dispute, or do you want to walk ahead as a company? Our lawyers know all the ins and outs of this variety of European issues.
For some countries in particular, we have a special “desk”:
We have extensive experience in supporting companies doing business in France or intending to do so. In addition, we support various French companies and (governmental) institutions with legal issues and being confronted with proceedings in the Netherlands. We have an excellent command of the French language and know the business culture of France. The legal and business climate in France differs considerably from the Dutch situation. Holla Advocaten’s French desk can help you make the legal, linguistic and cultural transition so that you can enter the French market successfully as an entrepreneur or be well informed in matters with common ground between the Netherlands and France!
We advise our clients on various legal issues, including:
– Disputes and legal proceedings involving French parties;
– Mergers and takeovers;
– Commercial contracts and negotiations (e.g. franchise, agency, distribution, partnerships, collaborations, etc);
– Transport and carriage of products;
– Intellectual property rights (patents, trademarks, designs, copyrights, licences);
– Liability issues;
– Debt collection and seizures;
– Shareholder disputes;
– Employment terms;
– Real estate and rent;
– Restructuring and bankruptcy;
– Competition and tendering.
Our experience with companies in France:
– Assisting a Dutch wholesaler with setting up a distribution network in France.
– Assisting a company intending to apply conditions to a sister company in France that are as similar as possible to the conditions used in the Netherlands.
– Proceedings before the Dutch court in which French law is applicable, for example, about defective products delivered from France to a Dutch company.
– Advising parties litigating in France on Dutch law, for example on franchise agreements to which Dutch law applies.
– Advising tree nurseries in a conflict with a local French government on a public procurement procedure.
– Advising the food industry on the labelling of products and the product name to be used, for which specific requirements must be met in France.
– Screening of contracts and licences governed by French law in the context of a due diligence for a merger or acquisition.
Our experience with French companies in the Netherlands:
– Assisting French (semi-)governmental organisations with litigation and mediation in the Netherlands.
– Advising a French company on setting up a branch in the Netherlands and choosing the optimal legal form, providing information on the Dutch rules in the area of employment contracts, absence through illness and dismissal of employees, the tax law.
– Assisting a French event organiser with the negotiations with a view to a multi-year contract.
– Advising on Dutch law in French litigation.
– Advising on the Schengen Information System.
Do you need legal advice in cases with a French touch? Please feel free to contact the members of the French Desk.
Team French Desk
Ferry Weelen has been working as a lawyer at Holla Advocaten since 1991. In October 2018 he was appointed as honorary consul of France. Ferry is proficient in 9 languages including fluent French.
Tijs van Klink has been working for Holla Advocaten since 2020. He studied in Canada and Switzerland and speaks Dutch, French and English.
Monique Jansen has been working at Holla Advocaten since 2020. She completed an internship at a French law firm in 2019. Monique speaks Dutch, French and English.